Sorry for the low quality photo. I took this pic with my HTC Evo.
Rite Aid: I’m trying to be more open-minded about drugstore makeup and I’m sure there are hidden gems that I am missing out on.
- Neutrogena healthy skin compact makeup, Nude 40, $13.99 – This caught my eye because of the SPF 55. I tried quickly looking up reviews online and because this is so new, only found three reviews and they were all favorable. [packaging] It’s relatively thick for a compact case, almost one inch. Inside is the cream foundation, a mirror and a separate compartment for a sponge. [initial review] Don’t be too excited about the high SPF, it’s misleading when makeup claims to have SPF. You need a lot of the product to obtain that level of protection on your face so you really still need to apply sunscreen underneath your makeup. I’m NC30 in MAC and the Nude 40 seems to match my skin okay. So far I’ve only patted a little bit on my cheek and it seems to be light to medium coverage.
- wet n wild coloricon eyeshadows, (clockwise starting from top right in photo above) Pride, Greed, Vanity, Lust, $4.99 but on sale at Rite Aid buy-one-get-one-50%-off – These little palettes have been quite the buzz in the beauty/makeup/guru community. [packaging] Each palette contains 6 shadows, 3 matte and 3 shimmer. It comes with one small sponge tip applicator and one small brush. [initial review] These are supposedly highly pigmented and of great quality, especially considering they are $5 or less. I’ve only tried the copper/bronze/brown in the Vanity palette and the matte beige colors. Both were soft and well pigmented. I like all the colors but I foresee myself using Pride the least.
Sephora: Need I say more?😀
- Anastasia Brow Gel, clear, $21 (not pictured above)- I received a sample of this brow gel and I really liked it. It didn’t dry hard and clumpy and it tamed what it could. [packaging] It looks and feels like a regular mascara except for the clear gel. The wand is a good size for taming my thin eyebrows. [initial review] I’ve been using the sample until now and I like it in conjunction with my NYX eyebrow wax pencil.
- Make Up For Ever HD Microfinish Blush, #7 One Too Many, $25 (not picture above)- I’ve been looking for a cream blush to either wear alone or under my MAC Powder Blush in Melba to make the powder blush last longer. With the help of the SA, I chose One Too Many, which is a light-medium peach based shade. [packaging] I love pumps! You have to be careful when pumping because a lot will come out unless you pump really, really slowly. This will definitely last me a long time. [initial review] You only need the tiniest bit for your cheeks as this blush is very pigmented. I was very happy when I got home because it turned out to be almost an exact match to my MAC Melba. Love this shade, it’s so beautiful!
- Make Up For Ever HD Foundation, No. 127, $40 – I exchanged my CoverFX Skinprep Anti-aging Primer for this (HATED the primer). I’m sure you’ve heard about this foundation as it is very popular and well-loved. [packaging] It comes in a pump bottle and a cap, which is excellent! Many liquid foundations don’t have pumps and pumps are just more hygienic. [initial review] I just bought this today so I applied it over my makeup that I had on all day. I used my Sigma F80 Flat Top Kabuki brush and it was a medium coverage with a matte finish. I’m not sure if it’s supposed to be a matte finish or because my face wasn’t fresh. I’m excited to try this properly in the morning with moisturizer and primer. Love it already.
- Josie Maran Organic Argan Oil, $48 – Argan Oil is supposed to be an amazing oil from Morocco that treats, heals, softens, etc. The Josie Maran display states that this oil reduces oil production which in turns helps reduce acne. I can’t quite make sense of that. I’ll have to do some research. [packaging] The argan oil is in a glass bottle with a pipette. [initial review] I tried this in the store and it’s extremely nourishing without being too oily. I rubbed it over my hands and my hands felt so soft. One thing I don’t like is that I left greasy fingerprints everywhere.