I really like Temptalia’s website because her reviews are very informational and “professional” (for lack of better words). I like to read reviews that are written with a level of sophistication that is matched by Temptalia.
I stumbled across a feature on her website that is really helpful..Temptalia’s Foundation Matrix. You choose your undertone (cool, warm) then your skintone (light, medium, dark). A matrix comes up in which the columns are made up of MAC Foundation shades and the rows are made up of a very wide variety of foundations, tinted moisturizers and even BB creams! Using this tool, you can take what shade you are in MAC and get an idea of what color you may be in another product. I tested this out myself and it is pretty accurate.
For example: I chose “Warm” for undertone and “Light-Medium”/”Medium-Medium Dark” for skin tones. Columns for this specific matrix included NC 20 through NC 43. I am NC 30 so I followed that column down to compare with foundations of which I already know my shade. See below for my results:
- Laura Mercier Oil-Free Tinted Foundation in Sand (I am Sand)
- MAC Face & Body in C2 (I was previously matched to C2)
- MAC Studio Fix Powder in C3/C4 (I am C4)
- Make Up For Ever HD in 120, 123, 125, 127, 128, 140 (I am 127)
- Estee Lauder Double Wear in Sand, Tawny (I am Tawny)
- Estee Lauder Double Wear Light in 3 (I am Intensity 3)
- Missha Perfect Cover BB Cream in No. 23 (I am No. 23)
- Foundation Matrix Example <–A screenshot
I am really impressed. All the results have been correct, at least within a range. This is a great tool if you already know your MAC shade and want to look into other foundations but don’t know where to start with color.